Walking your dog on a dog leash is very important as it is the foundation for all other training for dogs. Some are of the opinion that dogs should be walked at least once in day while some believe that dogs should be walked at least 15 minutes twice a day. Despite knowing that this exercise can be a good stress reliever and bring happiness to both the pet and the owner, studies have shown that over 20% of dogs owners don’t walk them every day as they believe it can turn to a nightmare as their pet may decide to escape. If you really want to experience success in walking your dog, then consider the following seven tips:
1. Proper way of placing the dog collars: The collar should be placed in such a way that it is at the top of the dog’s neck. This part is the most sensitive region of the neck, it will be easy for you to bring him back to order whenever he is going out of control. There are some lovely dog collars available on our website.
2. Always pull on the lead: Under no circumstances should you let your dog be in the front. As soon as you leave the house, let the dog know you are in charge. He needs to understand who controls the pace because once you allow him at the front, he will assume the pack leader role and do whatever he wants to do.
3. Avoid using a flexi dog leash: The leash on your dog should not be too flexible because it limits your control. If your dog sees anything he likes, he will quickly move towards it if the leash is not firm. This can sometimes lead to accident.
4. Constantly correct your dog: Some of the times, your dog will take the wrong step or go different path from yours. Something might catch his attention and might want to sniff it, try and control him as soon as possible. You can go with a walking stick as something to also put your dog under check but you don’t have to hit him.
5. Always have a dog mace with you for protection: This is very important and should not be placed in the dog back pack but with you so that you can easily get when the need arise. Some of the people around you may have stray and aggressive dogs that might want to attack you or your dog. Using dog mace as a means of protection is better because it will permanently injure the attacking dog unlike stick. All you need to do is to spray it towards the dog.
6. Rewarding your dog: You can allow your dog to stop and sniff the grass at the end of the walk. This way of rewarding him also makes him feel relieved after the walk. Make sure it is always at the end so that he can always see it as a reward for a good walk.
7. Celebrate your dog: As soon as you get back home make it a habit to feed your dog and let him see it as another form of reward so that he can always look forward to that nice treat.